Espresso coffee machine is among the most popular manufacturers of a variety of automatic, semi-automatic, and manual espresso machines that make some of the best coffee flavors.
The smell and taste of espresso is a wonderful thing. It makes our mornings better, provides us with the energy to get through the afternoon, and gives us something to look forward to at the end of a long day. But how you make your espresso is just as important as what you put into your espresso machine. A poorly maintained or faulty machine can reduce the quality of your coffee—and that’s why we’re here today.
If you’ve been disappointed by your machine’s performance recently, there are several things that might be causing it. Even if you have given your machine all the care and maintenance it needs, there may be some issues that need fixing. Here are some reasons Why Is My Breville Espresso Not Working:
Why Is My Breville Espresso Not Working
If your Breville espresso machine is running, but no coffee is coming out of the group head, there could be a blockage, or the grind setting could be wrong. Here is how to fix both problems.
Blockage in the group head
To fix the issue, Periodically backflushing your espresso machine will prevent the solenoid valve from malfunctioning and getting clogged. At home, you should clean your espresso machine without chemicals once a week after 200 shots with chemicals, or after 200 shots with chemicals, whichever comes first.
At the end of every work day, you should flush your Breville espresso machine in a commercial environment. Using the following instructions, you can flush your Breville espresso machine properly.
- Disconnect the portafilter from the machine and remove the filter basket and replace it with a backflush disc.
- Put the backflush cleaner into the basket.
- Return the portafilter into the brew group and press the 2-cup button.
- After about 20-30 seconds, the machine will become quiet due to pressure build-up and then switch it off.
- After the cycle is complete, remove the portafilter and make sure the tablet fully dissolves. If not, repeat the process several times without adding any cleaner.
- Rinse the portafilter thoroughly before filling it with coffee for your subsequent use.
Grind setting problems
When the machine is not dispensing any coffee, the grind setting could be too fine or too much coffee in the basket. To solve this, you need to adjust the grind size and amount.
- Locate the grind size locator that goes 1(very fine) to 16(very coarse.
- Set the grind size to five, but you can adjust over time. The coffee grind should be fine for good espresso shots but not too fine that it’s powdery.
- Locate the knob at the front of the machine that adjusts the grind amount.
- Turn the knob counterclockwise to reduce and clockwise to increase the grind amount.
- Set the grind amount at the 3 o’clock position and adjust if necessary.
- To test if the change has worked, try to pull a shot.
Breville espresso machine not pumping water
To fix an espresso machine that’s not pumping water, you need to follow the flow of water first to identify the source of the blockage. Here is how to troubleshoot your espresso machine to get its water pump working again.
- When the Breville espresso machine won’t pump water, it is vapor-locked. Vapor locking occurs when you prime the machine immediately after it heats up. Because the boiler is hot and air pressure causes the pump to block water flow, you must follow the steps listed below to force the water pump to draw water from the wank into the boiler system.
- Fill the water tank with filtered water.
- Place a cup under the brew and steam wand.
- Turn on the power button and open the steam wand knob.
- Let t sit for two minutes and then press the brew button and allow it to run for two minutes.
- Turn off the brew button, allow the steam wand to stay open for two minutes, and turn off the machine.
- After several minutes, run a cycle to test if the espresso machine is pumping water.
- Make sure the line isn’t blocked or kinked as you check the water coming into the machine. Ensure the line connecting the espresso machine and the filter is free of kinks, and if necessary, straighten it or replace it.
- Make sure the valves in the machine are working properly. The Breville espresso machine has a solenoid valve that controls water flow through the brew head. When you engage the group head, water flows through the valve. The valve clicks as you push the brew button, indicating that it is working properly. If there is no click, the solenoid valve is stuck shut and must be replaced.
- Dirt and debris from the water supply can clog the system in the coffee machine and prevent water from reaching the group head. The Breville espresso machine has many water lines with gigleurs, small metering jets inside the pipes that control the flow rate. Over time, dirt and debris will accumulate and clog gigleurs, blocking water flow.
- Make sure the filter is not blocked and needs to be replaced. If you grind your coffee too finely, the filter will become clogged and restrict the flow of water.
- If your espresso machine has not been descaled for a while, limescale may be clogging the water pump. To clear out the limescale deposits that might be jamming the water pump, descale your espresso machine.
How to clean a Breville espresso machine
Regularly cleaning the grinder and burrs allows for consistent grinding results. Follow the instructions below on how to clean it and clear any blockages.
- Open the hopper lid and remove any coffee beans remaining.
- Replace and lock the hopper and then run the grinder to remove any grinds in the system.
- Remove the hopper to access the grinder.
- Use a shop vac to remove the ground residue on the outside of the grinder where the hopper sits.
- To remove the top burr, turn the metal handlecounterclockwise. If the burr has gummed up to the grinder, you may have to use more force to pull it out.
- Use a small brush or a burr brush to remove the coffee grinds from the burr, making sure all the corners and crevices are clear.
- Vacuum the inner section of the grinder.
- Align the burr into the grinder, turn it clockwise to lock it in place, and push the metal handle down.
- Replace the hopper on top and lock it in place, then place the lid.
How do you change a Breville water filter?
The water filter in your Breville espresso machine reduces limescale build-up. You should replace the filter every two to three months, depending on how hard the water supply in your area is.
- Unpack the new water filter and soak it in a cup of filtered water for five minutes.
- Rinse the filter under cold running water.
- Take out the water tank from the espresso machine and remove the old water filter.
- Clean the water filter holder with cold water and rinse it.
- Insert the new water filter between the two parts of the filter holder.
- Line up the base of the filter holder with the adapter inside the water tank and push it to lock it into place inside the water tank.
- Fill the tank with cold water and reassemble it into the espresso machine.
- Run one cleaning cycle to reset the filter indicator light.
How to clean a Breville espresso machine
Follow the steps below on how to run a deep cleaning cycle in your Breville coffee maker.
- Run an empty cycle to flush out any coffee or milk in the system.
- Insert the cleaning disk into the cup filter disk.
- Insert the filter basket into the portafilter.
- Put one cleaning tablet into the filter.
- Attach the portafilter to the group head.
- Turn the coffee machine off.
- Press and hold the “1-cup”, “2-cup,” and power buttons simultaneously for three seconds until the cleaning light flashes.
- The cleaning cycle will start and stop automatically.
- Remove the portafilter and make sure the cleaning tablet has completely dissolved.
- Rinse the coffee maker by running two to three cycles of clean water to remove any cleaning tablet residue.
How do I reset my Breville espresso machine?
To reset your Breville espresso machine, all saved settings will be returned to the default settings. To reset your espresso machine, press and hold the program button until the espresso machine beeps three times, then release the button. The espresso shot volumes and temperature settings will return to default.
You can also reset it by setting the machine on standby, unplug it from the power outlet and then plug it back in after a few minutes.
The Breville espresso machine is among the most durable ones in the market, but it will occasionally develop issues. However, most problems are simple and easy to fix once you identify the source of the problem. We hope this article will help you learn Why Is My Breville Espresso Not Working.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you reset a Breville espresso machine?
press and hold the PROGRAM button until the machine beeps three times. Release the PROGRAM button.
How do you unclog a Breville espresso machine?
- Fill a heat-safe cup with water.
- Place the cup under your machine’s steam wand.
- Turn on your Breville steamer, letting the water in your cup bubble.
- After a few minutes, turn off the steamer and remove your cup.
- Wipe down the steam wand on your Breville, and you’re done!
- How To Make Coffee With Whole Beans: (3 Ways)
- Best Espresso Machine Under $400
- How to Make a Cappuccino with Espresso Machine
- Keurig 2.0 Not Pumping Water (Quick Fix)
- Keurig 2.0 Touch Screen Not Working (3 Easy Steps)
- Best Beans For Breville Barista Express
- Best Grind Size For Breville Espresso (quick guide)
- How to Descale Breville Precision Brewer (8 Easy Steps)
- Delonghi La Specialista Vs Breville Barista Express
- How To Keep Hot Chocolate Hot Without Electricity
- Can Nespresso Make Hot Water
- How to Exit Descaling Mode Nespresso Vertuo